September 2, 2009

September 1 veggies


Those tomatoes are coming fast and furious now! Lovely, aren't they? Their colours, with the yellow squash, the carrots, and the beautiful brown onion make a lovely late-summer tableau, don't you think?

Here's what's in the bag this week.

Full share:

:: cucumber
:: pole beans
:: jalapeno pepper
:: tomatoes
:: carrots
:: peas
:: onion
:: zucchini/summer squash
:: kale
:: garlic
:: broccoli/Guy Lan florets
:: lettuce mix
:: turnip

Half share:

:: cucumber
:: jalapeno pepper
:: tomatoes
:: onion
:: carrots
:: broccoli
:: leek
:: radish

If you have a yellow squash in your bag and aren't sure what to do with it, just think of it as a zucchini in disguise. You can use the two almost interchangeably. The skin of a yellow squash is a little thicker, but you don't have to peel it. Some people feel that they don't freeze as well as zucchini, but other than that they work pretty much the same. They are excellent in casseroles or grilled on the barbecue (or just in a pan), and I know people who use them, very thinly sliced, in the place of noodles for a lasagna-like dinner. I also found this recipe for kid-friendly squash chips, but I'm not sure exctly how those would go over. Worth a try, though (and, if you have leftover zucchini accumulating in your fridge, this could use them up nicely).

One problem I've had is that I haven't been able to keep on top of my jalapeno peppers - my youngsters don't have the same appreciation for spicy food that I do, so I tend to keep dinner on the mild side. I was thinking I might make a half-recipe of these pickled jalapeno peppers to have on hand - something I can eat on the side while the kiddoes enjoy their un-zippy meals.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment